cc this to user & user-zh mailing list because this will affect lots of
users, and also quite a lot of users
were asking questions around this topic.

Let me try to understand this from user's perspective.

Your proposal will affect five functions, which are:

   - PROCTIME()
   - NOW()
   - CURRENT_DATE
   - CURRENT_TIME
   - CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

Before the changes, as I am writing this reply, the local time here is
*2021-01-21
12:03:35 (Beijing time, UTC+8)*.
And I tried these 5 functions in sql client, and got:

*Flink SQL> select now(), PROCTIME(), CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, CURRENT_DATE,
CURRENT_TIME;*

*+-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------------------+--------------+--------------+*

*|                  EXPR$0 |                  EXPR$1 |
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP | CURRENT_DATE | CURRENT_TIME |*

*+-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------------------+--------------+--------------+*

*| 2021-01-21T04:03:35.228 | 2021-01-21T04:03:35.228 |
2021-01-21T04:03:35.228 |   2021-01-21 | 04:03:35.228 |*

*+-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------------------+--------------+--------------+*
After the changes, the expected behavior will change to:

*Flink SQL> select now(), PROCTIME(), CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, CURRENT_DATE,
CURRENT_TIME;*

*+-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------------------+--------------+--------------+*

*|                  EXPR$0 |                  EXPR$1 |
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP | CURRENT_DATE | CURRENT_TIME |*

*| 2021-01-21T12:03:35.228 | 2021-01-21T12:03:35.228 |
2021-01-21T12:03:35.228 |   2021-01-21 | 12:03:35.228 |*

The return type of now(), proctime() and CURRENT_TIMESTAMP still be
TIMESTAMP;

Best,
Kurt