Well, that depends on what is in -Dlog4j.configuration=

If there is an URI
(-Dlog4j.configuration=file:/path/to/log4j.configuration) as log4j
expects, Accumulo stops file-based logging as soon as it starts log
forwarding.

If there is a path
(-Dlog4j.configuration=/path/to/log4j.configuration) then Accumulo is
happy but log4j blames "Please initialize the log4j system properly"
and file-based logging does not start until log forwarding is enabled.

It is better not to use -Dlog4j.configuration at all but those
tservers are running with