This may be a result of ACCUMULO-3372.  If you jstack your new tablet
server, does it show a deadlock?

$ jps -m
12345 Main tserver --address host:9997

$ jstack 12345 | grep -i deadlock
Deadlock detected

This particular bug only happens at start-up.  There's a trivial patch
(which you can find through the bug report), which will be in accumulo
1.6.2.

-Eric