On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM, mdladakos <mdlada...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Keith, thanks for your quick response!
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear enough or I am not understanding your explanation.
>
> What I was exploring was performing a scan with a large number of
> authorizations. While I did use tables with thousands of rows, I also ran
> scans against empty tables and still performed at ~25 Seconds. So shouldn't
> VisibilityEvaluator not be in involved?
>
> I don't think the actual filtering is the problem. Is there some work done
> by the tablet servers when receiving the scan request, specifically in
> regard to user authorizations?
>
> Again, if I used -s to pass a subset of authorizations for the user with
> 100000 authorizations, this increase in return time would be equivalent to a
> user with that number of authorizations (i.e.: If I scanned with 100
> authorizations out of the 100000, it would be the normal, fast speed)

I think the following code may be the problem. The collection
userauths is a list, so performance will O(M*N).  Is M and N are 100K,
then its not good.  If userauths were a set this would be much faster
for the case you are testing.

https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/17bc708dcabd17824a8378597e0542002470ed18/server/base/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/server/security/handler/ZKAuthorizor.java#L166