I think we're seeing something similar but in our case we're trying to run
Accumulo atop ADLS. When we generate sufficient write load we start to see
stack traces like the following:

[log.DfsLogger] ERROR: Failed to write log entries
java.io.IOException: attempting to write to a closed stream;
at
com.microsoft.azure.datalake.store.ADLFileOutputStream.write(ADLFileOutputStream.java:88)
at
com.microsoft.azure.datalake.store.ADLFileOutputStream.write(ADLFileOutputStream.java:77)
at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.adl.AdlFsOutputStream.write(AdlFsOutputStream.java:57)
at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSDataOutputStream$PositionCache.write(FSDataOutputStream.java:48)
at java.io.DataOutputStream.write(DataOutputStream.java:88)
at java.io.DataOutputStream.writeByte(DataOutputStream.java:153)
at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.logger.LogFileKey.write(LogFileKey.java:87)
at org.apache.accumulo.tserver.log.DfsLogger.write(DfsLogger.java:537)

We have developed a rudimentary LogCloser implementation that allows us to
recover from this but overall performance is significantly impacted by this.

> As for the WAL closing issue on GCS, I recall a previous thread about that

I searched more for this but wasn't able to find anything, nor similar re:
ADL. I am also curious about the earlier question:

>> Does Accumulo have a specific write pattern [to WALs], so that file
system may not support it?

as discussions with MS engineers have suggested, similar to the GCS thread,
that small writes at high volume are, at best, suboptimal for ADLS.

Regards

Stephen