Couple of things to look at/try

1 - Is the data spread out amongst all the tablets and tservers when you
have multiple tservers?
2 - How much of the data is in memory on the tablet server and how much is
on disk.  You can try flushing the table before running your scan.
3 - You could also launch compaction before running your scan to minimize
the number of rfiles per tablet

Mike