Yes, I tried the high performance configuration which translates to 4G heap
size, but that didn't affect performance. Neither did setting
table.scan.max.memory to 4096k (default is 512k). Even if I accept that the
read performance here is reasonable I don't understand why none of the
hardware configuration changes (except going to 48 cores, which made things
worse) made any difference.