HI,

Ambari 2.0 allows you to modify the database connection information from Ambari
Web. Ambari 2.0 documentation is here
http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.0.0.0/index.html and Ambari
1.7 -> 2.0 upgrade information is here
http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.0.0.0/Ambari_Doc_Suite/ADS_v200.html#ref-385ec2d5-0648-4a6b-afed-5e079b6cd608

And here are some abridged instructions once you are on Ambari 2.0 to switch
from the default MySQL database to use existing databases (such as existing
MySQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL). Refer to the Ambari Reference
Guide<http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.0.0.0/Ambari_Doc_Suite/ADS_v200.html#ref-fa206f19-8c72-4bd5-9115-540e5e623be1>
 for the prerequisites for setting-up the existing database for Hive:

  1.  After performing the prerequisite steps, in Ambari Web, browse to
Services > Hive > Configs and select the Existing Database option. For example,
if you want to switch from default MySQL to an existing Oracle database, select
the "Existing Oracle Database" option.

  2.  Modify the database configuration settings as appropriate for your
environment (such as database host, username, password, etc).

  3.  Click the Test Connection button. This will confirm a connection to the
database is available.

  4.  Save the configuration changes.

  5.  Restart Hive components as instructed for the change to take affect.

Important: this procedure does not export or import any existing Hive
information from the current database to the new database. You must perform
that data migration on your own prior to making the Hive Metastore database
connection change.

Jeff