The alerts.json file is only to pickup brand new alerts that are not currently
defined in the system. It's more of a way to quickly seed Ambari with a default
set of alerts. If the alert has already been created, any updates for that
alert made in alerts.json will not be brought in. You'll need to use the REST
APIs to update existing definitions.

You are correct that the agents run the alerts. The definitions.json file on
each agent shows what alerts it is trying to run.