Thanks Jonathan, that explains some of the behavior I'm seeing.

Two additional questions:
1)  How do I make sure the Ambari "Metrics Collector Process" does not
alert immediately when the process is down? I am using Ambari 2.2.1.0 and
it has a bug [1] which can trigger restarts of the process. The fix for
AMBARI-15492 <http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-15492> has been
documented in that wiki as "comment out auto-recovery". But that would mean
the process would not restart (when the bug hits) bringing down visibility
into the cluster metrics. We have disabled the auto-restart count alert
because of the bug, but what is a good way to say "if the metrics collector
process has been down for 15mins, then alert".

2) Will restarting "Metrics Collector Process"  impact the other hbase or
hdfs health alerts? Or is this process only for the Ambari-Metrics system
(collecting usage and internal ambari metrics). I am trying to see if the
Ambari Metrics Collector Process can be disabled while still keep the other
hbase and hdfs alerts.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Known+Issues

-Ganesh