> proxies ensure that Camel has what it needs when it runs

Unfortunately this is not true. Camel only runs well because the defined start levels start the components before your user bundles. This is a very fragile approach though and totally breaks when not using karaf. The core of the problem is that in camel you access a component by just a String uri. If the component is present at the time the route starts then this will work if not it will break. As the dependency to the component is just a URI there is no way to use static code analysis to make sure all necessary components are present. So I am not sure how to solve this.

Christian