We have had one other report of something similar happening.

What Avro version is this happening with? What JVM version?

On a hunch, have you tried adding -XX:-UseLoopPredicate to the JVM args if
it is Sun and JRE 6u21 or later? (some issues in loop predicates affect
Java 6 too, just not as many as the recent news on Java7).

Otherwise, it may likely be the same thing as AVRO-782.  Any extra
information related to that issue would be welcome.

Thanks!

-Scott