On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Douglas Creager <doug...@creagertino.net>wrote:

> > Also my understanding is that I must 'install' or deploy Avro before I
> can try out the C bindings suggested by Douglas. I am stating this since I
> am not exactly clear by what this meant: -  "especially since the C
> bindings don't have any library dependencies to install". I am assuming it
> means, I don't need anything beyond a basic install of Avro.
>
> Sorry about the misunderstanding.  And you're right — you'd need to
> download, compile, and install the Avro C bindings, but they don't require
> any *additional* libraries to be installed.  It's a pretty standard set of
> CMake build scripts, and there's an INSTALL file in the tarball containing
> more detailed instructions.

Thank you Doug, for pointing this out specifically. From things I have done
in the past, API's seemed to be a part of packages, so I didn't quite even
look outside of the avro package. But after you mentioned it, I went back
and saw that the main download page itself had a separate folder for the C
bindings. After I installed cmake, the install was straightforward.

-Selvi