> $ avro --help has some options that can help you out.
>
> For "avro cat", the following may help:
>
> --fields=FIELDS     fields to show, comma separated (show all by default)

Thanks a lot for this pointer Harsh..this is how I chanced up the filter
flag.

I am going to take a look at the blog post next, for getting to the
programming side of things. Since the Hadoop system log files I am looking
at seem to have multiple schemas for different log entries within the same
file, I would have to explore more to understand it better...but for now it
seems like I would have to do a combination of readers, grep and avro
cat/avrocat.

-Selvi