Hi

You can add prop to your avro schema.

So here we have added our custo props and extra processing before
generating the avro binary to make sure these props are respected.

Pro : very flexible (we have added max_length on string, temporal_format
and so forth...).
Cons : you must be sure to have your extra processing running before
generating the avro binaries

For example in your case you could add a prop "nonEmpty" with default value
to false.

Then, before converting the Avro Json/Pojo to Avro binary, you use your own
SpecificDatumWriter (extending SpecificDatumWriter) and then in writeField
you check for the presence of the prop, its value, and if true you check
for non emptiness.

Cheers