On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 18:51, Zoltan Farkas <zolyfar...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I mean with timestamp-micros, is that it is currently restricted to
> being bound to long,
> I see no reason why it should not be allowed to be bound to string as
> well. (the change should be simple to implement)

Wouldn't have the implication of changing the binary representation too,
which is not necessarily desirable (it's bulkier, slower to decode and has
more potential error cases) ?

> regarding the media type, something like: application/avro.2+json would be
> fine.

Attaching the ".2" to "avro" rather than "json" seems to be implying a new
Avro version, rather than a new JSON-encoding version? Or is the idea that
the version number here is implying both the JSON-encoding version *and* the
underlying Avro version?  The MIME standard seems to be silent on this
AFAICS.

> Other then that the proposal looks good. can you start a PR with the spec
> update?

I can do, but I don't hold out much hope of it getting merged. I started a
PR with a much more minor change <https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/738>
almost 2 months ago and haven't seen any response yet.

  cheers,
    rog.