answers inline

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 5:51 AM, roger peppe <rogpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 18:51, Zoltan Farkas <zolyfar...@yahoo.com
> <mailto:zolyfar...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
> What I mean with timestamp-micros, is that it is currently restricted to
> being bound to long,
> I see no reason why it should not be allowed to be bound to string as well.
> (the change should be simple to implement)
>
> Wouldn't have the implication of changing the binary representation too,
> which is not necessarily desirable (it's bulkier, slower to decode and has
> more potential error cases) ?

yes, it would, but this is how logical types work, and I see no good way to
change this.  (this is what i meant by paying the readability cost in place
where it is irrelevant)

> regarding the media type, something like: application/avro.2+json would be
> fine.
>
> Attaching the ".2" to "avro" rather than "json" seems to be implying a new
> Avro version, rather than a new JSON-encoding version? Or is the idea that
> the version number here is implying both the JSON-encoding version and the
> underlying Avro version?  The MIME standard seems to be silent on this AFAICS.

the reason why I would use +json at the end is because it would be a subtype
sufix: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_type#Suffix
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_type#Suffix> and most browsers will
recognize it as json, and potentially format it...

> Other then that the proposal looks good. can you start a PR with the spec
> update?
>
> I can do, but I don't hold out much hope of it getting merged. I started a PR
> with a much more minor change <https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/738>
> almost 2 months ago and haven't seen any response yet.

Send out a email on the dev mailing list, the committers seem more responsive
lately...