[Copying this also to the dev list]

+1. A version compatibility table would be great!

> I don't know if Flink could do something like this (become a provided
> dep) in particular for the current case where there seems not to be
> API breaking changes.

That doesn't work. The Flink Runner is too tightly integrated with Flink internals, and these internals are not always optimally decoupled. This fails already at the client side, e.g. when submitting a Flink job via Beam to a Flink cluster. Though it should be better now with the new Rest-based clients.