Response from Solr:

Generally speaking, SolrJ has been very compatible communicating to many
backend Solr server versions.  I wish we tracked problems about this
specifically somewhere, but I don't think we do.  I suggest simply using the
latest SolrJ release.  If you find issues, report them.  Again, assuming SolrJ,
it's good to have some flexibility on which SolrClient subclass is used.
There's Cloud vs not (i.e. standalone), there's newer HTTP2 vs not.  There's
Cloud talking directly to ZooKeeper for cluster state, or there's via Solr HTTP.