Are there any known performance issues if cassandra cluster launched with
RackAwareStrategy because I see huge performance difference between
RackAwareStrategy vs RackUnAwareStrategy.  Here are details:

we have a cluster setup with 4 EC2 X large nodes, 3 of them are running in East
region and 4th one is running in West region and they all communicate with each
other through VPN tunnel interface which is only way we found to achieve ring
architecture across Amazon cloud regions:

we are able to process 3.5K write operations per second when we used
RackUnAwareStrategy whereas

:/home/ubuntu/cassandra/contrib/py_stress# ./stress.py -o insert -n 80000 -y
regular -d ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xx.compute-1.amazonaws.com --threads 100 --keep-going
total,interval_op_rate,avg_latency,elapsed_time
35935,3593,0.0289930914479,10
70531,3459,0.0289145907593,20
80000,946,0.0267288666213,30

whereas we are able to process only 250 write operations per second when we
used RackAwareStrategy

:/home/ubuntu/cassandra/contrib/py_stress# ./stress.py -o insert -n 80000 -y
regular -d ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xx.compute-1.amazonaws.com --threads 100 --keep-going
total,interval_op_rate,avg_latency,elapsed_time
2327,232,0.434396038355,10
4772,244,0.40946514036,20
7383,261,0.384504625415,30
9924,254,0.392919449861,40