Keep it simple.  Something like "Cassandra is a row-oriented, fully
distributed database designed for scalability, availability, and
durability."

Trying to explain the data model in two sentences is not going to
work, and "4 or 5 dimension associated arrays" is the wrong tree to
bark up entirely.  ("row-oriented" is the right one. :)

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra