On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I supsect something else is making the difference for ecapriolo.  The
> documentation says,
>
> The incremental mode is meant to lessen the impact of long concurrent
> phases by periodically stopping the concurrent phase to yield back the
> processor to the application. [Remember, "concurrent" means "not
> blocking other threads" in this context.]  This mode (referred to here
> as “i-cms”) divides the work done by concurrently by the collector
> into small chunks of time which are scheduled between young generation
> collections. This feature is useful when applications that need the
> low pause times provided by the concurrent collector are run on
> machines with small numbers of processors (e.g., 1 or 2)
>
> There's also close to a dozen tuning options for i-cms.  It seems a
> little fragile to me.
>
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Benjamin Black <b...@b3k.us> wrote:
>> ecapriolo's testing seemed to indicate it _did_ change the behavior.
>> wonder what the difference is?
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Mikio Braun <mi...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>>

> --
> Jonathan Ellis
> Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
> http://riptano.com

Before I applied these changes the young gen and the survivor space
were very spiky. Now they both seem very low all the time. As you see
from my screen shot, before these changes my JVM memory would make
large saw tooths, now all three pools young, eden, perm seem smoother.

I am worried that the cms descriptions talk about systems with 1-2
processor machines, being my system shows up at 16 processors after
hyper threading.

Is something else going on. :) I am not in a lab so I have many
external factors. Being that it takes a long time to build up a row
cache its hard to compare for hours.

(On a side node I have started working on 'nodetool savecache' so
hopefully I figure out a way to save the cache to an external file and
recall it after start up. Seems like there could be edge cases where
bring up a cache even from moments ago could be be, but will see)