I posted on this topic last September.   (See
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg05692.html)

I was able to use Cassandra across EC2regions.  However, the trick is
that you have must use the "external" addresses in your storage-conf.xml,
but since you don't have a NIC that can actually bind to those addresses, you
need to listen on the "internal" addresses (or, more simply, all interfaces)

At the time, I was  not able to get the cross-region cluster to work
without making changes to the Cassandra code.  Perhaps things have
evolved so that there are other ways to do it now.

--
Peter Fales
Alcatel-Lucent