Well, it will need all nodes that are required on the operation to be up,
and to response in a timely fashion, even a time-out rpc of 1 replica will
get you a fail response.

CL is calculated based on the RF configured for the ColumnFamily.

"The ConsistencyLevel is an enum that controls both read and write behavior
based on <ReplicationFactor> in your storage-conf.xml."

QUORUM = RF / 2 +1;
ALL = RF
ONE = 1
ANY = 0

Then, on a column family configured with RF = 6, QUORUM means "be sure to
write at least over 4 nodes before responding", but on a column family
configured with RF = 3, QUORUM means "be sure to write on 2 at least". In
cases where RF is 1 or 2, then QUORUM is like ALL ("be sure to write on all
nodes involved").