I do believe there is a fundamental issue with compactions allocating too much
memory and incurring too many garbage collections (at least with 0.6.12).

On nearly every Cassandra node I operate, garbage collections simply get out of
control during compactions of any reasonably sized CF (>1GB). I can reproduce
it on CF's with many wider rows (1000's of columns) consisting of smaller
columns (10's-100's of bytes) and CF's with thinner rows (<20 columns) with
larger columns (10's MBs) and everything in between.

From the GC logs, I can infer that Cassandra is allocating upwards of 4GB/s. I
once gave the JVM 30GB of heap and saw it run through the entire heap in a few
seconds while doing a compaction! It would continuously blow through the heap,
incur a stop-the-world collection, and repeat. Meanwhile, the listed compacted
bytes from the JMX interface was never increasing and the tmp sstable wasn't
growing in size.

My current/relevant JVM args are as follows (running on Sun 1.6.0.24 w/ JNA
3.2.7):

-Xms9G -Xmx9G -Xmn256M -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+PrintClassHistogram -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution
-Xloggc:/var/log/cassandra/gc.log -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=3
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=40 -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
-XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSFullGCsBeforeCompaction=1
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=6

I've tweaked with nearly every setting imaginable
(http://www.md.pp.ru/~eu/jdk6options.html is a great resource, BTW) and can't
control the problem. No matter what I do, nothing can solve the problem of
Cassandra allocating objects faster than the GC can clean them. And, when we're
talking about >1GB/s of allocations, I don't think you can blame GC for not
keeping up.

Since there is no way to prevent these frequent stop-the-world collections, we
get frequent client timeouts and an occasional unavailable response if we're
unfortunate to have a couple of nodes compacting large CFs at the same time
(which happens more than I'd like).

For the past two weeks, we had N=<replication factor> adjacent nodes in our
cluster that failed to perform their daily major compaction on a particular
column family. All N would spew GCInspector logs and the GC logs revealed heavy
memory allocation rate. The only resolution was to restart Cassandra to abort
the compaction. I isolated one node from network connectivity and restarted it
in a cluster of 1 with no caching, memtables, or any operations. Under these
ideal compacting conditions, I still ran into issues. I experimented with
extremely large young generations (up to 10GB), very low
CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction, etc, but Cassandra would always allocate faster
than JVM could collect, eventually leading to stop-the-world.

Recently, we rolled out a change to the application accessing the cluster which
effectively resaved every column in every row. When this was mostly done, our
daily major compaction for the trouble CF that refused to compact for two
weeks, suddenly completed! Most interesting. (Although, it still went through
memory to no end.)

One of my observations is that memory allocations during compaction seems to be
mostly short-lived objects. The young generation is almost never promoting
objects to the tenured generation (we changed our MaxTenuringThreshold to 3,
from Cassandra's default of 1 to discourage early promotion- a default of 1
seems rather silly to me). However, when the young generation is being
collected (which happens VERY often during compactions b/c allocation rate is
so high), objects are allocated directly into the tenured generation. Even with
relatively short ParNew collections (often <0.05s, almost always <0.1s wall
time), these tenured allocations quickly accumulate, initiating CMS and
eventually stop-the-world.

Anyway, not sure how much additional writing is going to help resolve this
issue. I have gobs of GC logs and supplementary metrics data to back up my
claims if those will help. But, I have a feeling that if you just create a CF
of a few GB and incur a compaction with the JVM under a profiler, it will be
pretty easy to identify the culprit. I've started down this path and will let
you know if I find anything. But, I'm no Java expert and am quite busy with
other tasks, so don't expect anything useful from me anytime soon.

I hope this information helps. If you need anything else, just ask, and I'll
see what I can do.

Gregory Szorc
gregory.sz...@xobni.com