We're troubleshooting a memory usage problem during batch reads. We've spent
the last few days profiling and trying different GC settings. The symptoms are
that after a certain amount of time during reads one or more nodes in the
cluster will exhibit extreme memory pressure followed by a gc storm. We've
tried every possible JVM setting and different GC methods and the issue
persists. This is pointing towards something instantiating a lot of objects and
keeping references so that they can't be cleaned up.

Typically nothing is ever logged other than the GC failures however just now
one of the nodes emitted logs we've never seen before:

 INFO [ScheduledTasks:1] 2011-05-06 15:04:55,085 StorageService.java (line
2218) Unable to reduce heap usage since there are no dirty column families

We have tried increasing the heap on these nodes to large values, eg 24GB and
still run into the same issue. We're running 8GB of heap normally and only one
or two nodes will ever exhibit this issue, randomly. We don't use key/row
caching and our memtable sizing is 64mb/0.3. Larger or smaller memtables make
no difference in avoiding the issue. We're on 0.7.5, mmap, jna and jdk 1.6.0_24

We've somewhat hit the wall in troubleshooting and any advice is greatly
appreciated.

--
Adam