Out of curiosity, could you try to disable mmap as well?

I had some problems  here some time back and I wanted to see better what was
going on and disabled the mmap.
I actually don't think I have the same problem again, but I have seen javavm
sizes up in 30-40MB with a heap of just 16.

Haven't paid much attention since fortunately the server had enough memory
anyway.

Terje