Hi,

First time here. I'm having trouble adding a third node to an existing 2-node
ring (successfully upgraded from 0.72) running cassandra 0.8rc1 (successfully
upgraded from 0.72) on ubuntu on EC2.

Evidently the seed node is working as the second node is already talking to it,
nodetool lists both nodes.
From the new node I can successfully telnet to ports 7000, 7199 and 9160 on the
seed node (so it's not a connectivity issue - necessary ports are open on node
firewalls and EC2 security groups).
All nodes have identical cassandra.yaml files, apart from the new node has
auto-bootstrap set to true.

Despite all this, cassandra still says "No other nodes seen!  Unable to
bootstrap" when starting on the third node. Any ideas? How can I troubleshoot
further?

Thanks,

Marcus