All of the nodes are 0.8.x and no longer 0.7.2 ?  It is peculiar.  As
another person noted, maybe reviewing the results of netstat -an on
each node could help.  I've had issues in the past with JMX --
thinking I had configured it for IP x.x.x.x and went crazy only to see
that it was never configured for x.x.x.x despite the configurations.

another thing to try look at is verifying that DNS is working properly
on the new node.  is it a stock instance or has the hostname been
changed, etc.  that also causes issues ...