On 6/22/2011 1:07 AM, Damien Picard wrote:
Hi,

I have to store some files (Images, documents, etc.) for my users in a webapp. I use Cassandra for all of my data and I would like to know if this is a good idea to store these files into blob on a Cassandra CF ? Is there some contraindications, or special things to know to achieve this ?

Thank you

--
Damien Picard
Axeiya Services : http://axeiya.com/

I was thinking of doing the same thing. But, to compensate for the bandwidth usage during the read, I was hoping to find a way for the httpd or app server to cache the file either in RAM or on disk so subsequent reads could just reference the in-mem cache or local hdd. I have big data requirements, so duplicating the storage of file blobs by adding them to the hdd would almost double my storage requirements. So, the hdd cache would have to be limited with the LRU removed periodically.

I was thinking about making the key for each file be a relative file path as if it were on disk. This same path could also be used as it's actual location on disk in the local disk cache. Using a path as the key makes it flexible in many ways if I ever change my mind and want to store all files on disk, or when backing-up or archiving, etc..

But, I'm rusty on my apache http knowledge but I also thought there was an apache cache mod that would use both ram and disk depending on the frequency of use. But, I don't know if you can tell it to "cache this blob like it's a file".

Just some thoughts.