Exactly right - I wrote BlobInputStream and BlobOutputStream classes to go with a Blob class.

I use 1MB for the block size, but I haven't done any performance testing. I went small to favor low memory and bandwidth foot prints. I'd, of course, be very interested in any performance tests.

On 06/23/2011 12:36 AM, Damien Picard wrote:
 >I have a simple blob class over the top of this which handles input
and output streaming so reads/writes are only one column at a >time

Thank you for the tips. I think I will do the same ; for this time, I've
developped a simple version which store the entire file in one column,
but I've already observe that it is a performance killer.
According to you, the idea is to write a "CassandraInputStream" and
"CassandraOutputStream" that store files in multiple columns on one row.
Could you tell me the size you put on a single column ? Have you
benchmark this to determine an ideal column size ?