On 7/8/2011 2:18 AM, Sylvain Lebresne wrote:
On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM, AJ<a...@dude.podzone.net>  wrote:
I think it would be really cool to be able to rename a column, or, more
generally, a move command to move data from one column to another in the
same CF without the client having to read and resend the column value.  This
would be extremely powerful, imo.  I suspect the execution would be quick
and could even be made atomic (per node) as I suspect it would mostly entail
only reference updates.
Cassandra don't work like that. We would have no other choice than to read the
column and write it back with a different name

I figured as much :)  Not that bad though.

  (and it would not be atomic). So
the only win we would get from doing this server side would lie in not
transferring
the value across the network.

That would be the main benefit I think, esp with large values.

--
Sylvain