We are using Cassandra 0.8.0 with 8 node ring and only one CF.
Every column has TTL of 86400 (24 hours). we also set 'GC grace second' to
43200
(12 hours).  We have to store massive amount of data for one day now and
eventually for five days if we get more disk space.
Even for one day, we do run out disk space in a busy day.

We run nodetool compact command at night or as necessary then we run GC from
jconsole. We observed that  GC did remove files but not necessarily oldest
ones.
Data files from more than 36 hours ago and quite often three days ago are
still there.

Does this behavior expected or we need adjust some other parameters?

Yuki Watanabe