For background:

Minor compaction will bucket files (see
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-0.8.6/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/db/compaction/CompactionManager.java#L989)
 and then compact them if they have more than min_compaction_threshold set per
CF.

It will then purge tombstones if a row is only contained in the SSTables
involved in the compaction (see
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-0.8.6/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/db/compaction/CompactionController.java#L84)

So there are a couple of approaches you can take if you want to ensure all
TTL'd data is purged ASAP. Note that Tombstones and TTL'd data will be
automatically purged at some point, but if more precise control you may need to
take a few steps.

First if all the data you are storing has a 24 hour TTL you can include a
manualy major compaction via node tool in your maintenance routine. We normally
advise against it because it tries to create one large file, but if all your
data is going to be removed it's prob ok.

Second, play around with minor compaction to increase the chances that data is
purged soon after the

Third, monkey up a process to kick of user defined compaction runs for SSTables
that are over 24 hours old.

I know disk space can be an issue, but if you have the spare capacity you can
just let cassandra manage things. Also 1.0 has some major changes in this area.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton