In some sense 1 for one performance "almost" does not matter. Thou I bet
you can get Cassandra better (I remember old school ycsb white paper
benches against a sharded mysql).

One of the main bullet points of Cassandra is if you want to grow from 4
nodes, to 8 nodes, to 14 nodes, and so on, Cassandra is elastic and
supports online adding and removing of nodes. A do-it-yourself hash mod
this algorithm really has no upgrade path

Edward