Your second part was what I was also referring where I put all the files from
nodes to a single node to create a similar bkp which needs to have unique file
names across cluster.

From: Deno Vichas [mailto:d...@syncopated.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:29 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Taking a Cluster Wide Snapshot

there's no prerequisite for unique names.  each node's snapshot gets tar'ed up
and then copied over to a directory the name of the hostname of the node.  then
those dirs are tar'ed and copied to S3.

what i haven't tried yet is to untar everything for all nodes into a single
node cluster.  i'm assuming i can get tar to replace or skip existing file so i
end up with a set of unique files.  can somebody confirm this?