I've not heard of anything like that in the recent versions. There were some
issues in the early 0.8
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/NEWS.txt#L383

If you are on a recent version can you please create a jira ticket
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA describing what you think
happened.

If you have kept the logs from the startup and can make them available please
do.

Thanks

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer