It is memory-mapped I/O. I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, Windows might not be the best choice to run Cassandra on. My experience running Cassandra on Windows has not been positive one. We no longer support Windows as our production platform.

Regards,
Oleg

On 2012-09-10 09:00:02 +0000, Rene Kochen said:

Hi all,

On my test cluster I have three Windows Server 2008 R2 machines running Cassandra 1.0.11

If i use memory mapped IO (the default), then the nodes freeze after a while. Paging is disabled.

The private bytes are OK (8GB). That is the amount I use in the -Xms and -Xmx arguments. The virtual size is big as expected because of the memory mapped IO. However, the working set size (size in RAM) is 24 GB (my total RAM usage). If I look with Process Explorer to the physical memory section I see a very high value in the "WS Sharable" section.

Anyone has a clue what is going om here?

Many thanks!

Rene
<image>

--