Edward,

Thanks for the response. This is what I thought. The only reason why I am
doing it like this is that I don't know these partition keys in advance
(otherwise I would design this differently). So when I need to insert data,
it looks like I need to insert to both the data table and the table
containing the partition keys. Good thing writes in Cassandra are
idempotent...:)

thanks again,
Gareth