If you want, you can try to force the GC through Jconsole. Memory->Perform GC.

It theoretically triggers a full GC and when it will happen depends on the JVM

-Wei

----- Original Message -----

From: "Robert Coli" <rc...@eventbrite.com>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:43:13 AM
Subject: Re: Heap is not released and streaming hangs at 0%

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM, srmore <comom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But then shouldn't JVM C G it eventually ? I can still see Cassandra alive
> and kicking but looks like the heap is locked up even after the traffic is
> long stopped.

No, when GC system fails this hard it is often a permanent failure
which requires a restart of the JVM.

> nodetool -h localhost flush didn't do much good.

This adds support to the idea that your heap is too full, and not full
of memtables.

You could try nodetool -h localhost invalidatekeycache, but that
probably will not free enough memory to help you.

=Rob