On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM, aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>wrote:

> > nodetool -h localhost flush didn't do much good.
>
> Do you have 100's of millions of rows ?
> If so see recent discussions about reducing the bloom_filter_fp_chance and
> index_sampling.

Yes, I have 100's of millions of rows.

> If this is an old schema you may be using the very old setting of 0.000744
> which creates a lot of bloom filters.
>
> bloom_filter_fp_chance value that was changed from default to 0.1, looked
at the filters and they are about 2.5G on disk and I have around 8G of heap.
I will try increasing the value to 0.7 and report my results.

It also appears to be a case of hard GC failure (as Rob mentioned) as the
heap is never released, even after 24+ hours of idle time, the JVM needs to
be restarted to reclaim the heap.

Cheers