It's my understanding that if cardinality of the first part of the primary
key has low cardinality, you will struggle with cluster balance as (unless
you use WITH COMPACT STORAGE) the first entry of the primary key equates to
the row key from the traditional interface, thus all entries related to a
single value for the "counter" column will map to the same partition.

So consider the cardinality of this field, if cardinality is low, you might
need to remodel with PRIMARY KEY (counter, ts, key1) then tack on WITH
COMPACT STORAGE (then the entire primary key becomes the row key, but you
can only have one column which is not part of the primary key)  If
cardinality of "counter" is high, then you have nothing to worry about.