Amazon seems to much overprice its services. If you look out for a similar
size deployment elsewhere like linode or digital ocean(very competitive
pricing), you'll notice huge differences. Ok, some services & features are
extra but may we all don't need them necessarily & when you can host on
non-dedicated virtual servers on Amazon you can also do it with similar
configuration nodes elsewhere too.

IMO these huge costs associated with cassandra deployment are too heavy for
small startups just starting out. I believe, If you consider a deployment
for similar application using MySQL it should be quite cheaper/
affordable(though i'm not exactly sure). Atleast you don't usually create a
cluster from the beginning. Probably we made a wrong decision to choose
cassandra considering only its technological advantages.