You should expect to see lines of output like:

         vmop                    [threads: total initially_running
wait_to_block]    [time: spin block sync cleanup vmop] page_trap_count
0.436: Deoptimize                       [      10          0
   0    ]      [     0     0     0     0     0    ]  0
1.437: no vm operation                  [      18          0
   1    ]      [     0     0     0     0     0    ]  0
1.762: Deoptimize                       [      21          0
   0    ]      [     0     0     0     0     0    ]  0
2.764: no vm operation                  [     160          0
   1    ]      [     0     0     0     0     0    ]  0
2.876: Deoptimize                       [     161          0
   0    ]      [     0     0     0     0     0    ]  0
4.503: EnableBiasedLocking              [     164          0
   0    ]      [     0     0     0     0     0    ]  0
6.916: RevokeBias                       [     164          0
   0    ]      [     0     0     0     0     0    ]  0

You're looking for any of these lines printed at or around one of your
unexpectedly long pauses.