We are also seeing this in our development environment. We have a 3 node
Cassandra 2.0.5 cluster running on Ubuntu 12.04 and are connecting from a
Tomcat based application running on Windows using the 2.0.0 Cassandra Java
Driver. We have setKeepAlive(true) when building the cluster in the
application and this does keep one connection open on the client side to
each of the 3 Cassandra nodes, but we still see the build up of 'old'
ESTABLISHED connections on each of the Cassandra servers.

We are also getting that same "Unexpected exception during request"
exception appearing in the logs

ERROR [Native-Transport-Requests:358378] 2014-04-09 12:31:46,824
ErrorMessage.java (line 222) Unexpected exception during request
java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer
        at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.read0(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(Unknown Source)
        at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.read(NioWorker.java:64)
        at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.process(AbstractNioWorker.java:109)
        at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:312)
        at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.run(AbstractNioWorker.java:90)
        at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.run(NioWorker.java:178)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Initially we thought this was down to a firewall that is between our
development machines and the Cassandra nodes but that has now been
configured not to 'kill' any connections on port 9042. We also have the
Windows firewall on the client side turned off.

We still think this is down to our environment as the same application
running in Tomcat hosted on a Ubuntu 12.04 server does not appear to be
doing this but up to now we can't track down the cause.