On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Kevin Burton <bur...@spinn3r.com> wrote:

> I have a lot of experience in distribute systems, understand the space
> well, but I just can't find documentation on how cassandra does things from
> a high level perspective.

My belief as to the reason why you are unable to find design documents
which explicate the design principles behind Apache Cassandra is that
neither exist.

I continue to be a firm believer that a documented set of design principles
we all agree are "Cassandric" would be very helpful in cases where we need
to evaluate whether proposed patches are "Cassandric" enough to merge.

My plan is to just use the source code for reference.  Not everyone has
> that option though…

This, and people who have done the same and combined it with following JIRA
for regressions/bugfixes, are the path to the most accurate understanding
of how any given release of Cassandra works.

=Rob