My experience is similar to Nicholas'. Basic usage was easy to get a handle
on, but the advanced tuning/tweaking info is scattered EVERYWHERE around
the web, mostly on personal blogs. It feels like it took way too long to
become confident enough in my understanding of Cassandra that I trust our
deployment configuration in production.

Without this mailing list I would still be on the fence.