Distinguished Colleagues:

Our current Cassandra cluster on AWS looks like this:

3 nodes in N. Virginia, one per zone.
RF=3

Each node is a c3.4xlarge with 2x160G SSDs in RAID-0 (~300 Gig SSD on each node). Works great, I find it the most optimal configuration for a Cassandra node.

But the time is coming soon when I need to expand storage capacity.

I have the following options in front of me:

1) Add 3 more c3.4xlarge nodes. This keeps the amount of data on each node reasonable, and all repairs and other tasks can complete in a reasonable amount of time. The downside is that c3.4xlarge are pricey.

2) Add provisioned EBS volumes. These days I can get SSD-backed EBS with up to 4000 IOPS provisioned. I can add those volumes to "data_directories" list in Yaml, and I expect Cassandra can deal with that JBOD-style.... The upside is that it is much cheaper than option #1 above; the downside is that it is a much slower configuration and repairs can take longer.

I'd appreciate any input on this topic.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg