If I had to guess, it might be in part i could be due to inefficiencies in
2.0 with regards to CompositeType (which is used in CQL3 tables) -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5417?focusedCommentId=13821243&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13821243

Ticket reports 45% performance increase in reading slices compared to trunk
in 2.1

Thanks,
Daniel