everyone is different. I also recommend users take time to understanding
every tool they use as much as time allows. We don't always have the luxury
of time, but I see no point recommending laziness.

I'm probably insane, since I also spend time reading papers on CRDT, paxos,
query compilers, machine learning and other topics I find fun.

on the topic of multiple incompatible API's I recommend you look at
SqlServer and Sybase. Most of the legacy RDBMS have multiple incompatible
API. Though in some cases, it is/was unavoidable.